Thursday, February 16, 2017

TCOB - Take Care of (your) business - We can all eat




About a week or so ago, while I was headed into the store, I met a hip-hop artist who was selling his CD's. He seemed so proud of his work and he even offered to have me to play his CD before I bought it. Now, me because I am an artist myself, I try and support when I can, so while I was listening I asked him if  he produced his own music "Yes" and he wrote his own raps "Yes" so, then I asked the one question that is more important than all of that... "Are you a registered artist and have you taken the steps to copyright your name and work?"  You already know his answer was a big ole fat "NO" So, I asked him, tell me what do you want to do with your music? Do you want to be a star?   His answer "yes" I also learned he has videos on youtube, he wants to sell his beats, he has a ton of songs on Soundcloud, etc. etc. I gave him $5 for his work, a copy of my CD, and made him promise me he would take the necessary steps to legitimize his music career.   I told him if it's one thing that stands out the most since I started on this musical journey is this "Take Care of your Business"  You can't expect to get paid, played or even heard outside of your community without it!!

I guess while I was in the store, he, looked my information up.... he went on to say Is this really you?" Me: yes, of course... "I love your music!"  Me: "Bless Your heart"...LMBO

Today, the young artist sent me an e-mail with his information. He took my advise, and that made my day!!  If only more artists would support one another, there was time when we all had to learn this business.  I know I am still learning, but I will not hesitate to share what I do know, if I can.

Anyway, there's room at the table to eat, as long as you bring your head along with you.


Visit My Website:  http://jaynablackwell.webs.com/ 
Listen Like and Share this music!!  https://www.reverbnation.com/jaynablackwell
Follow Me on Twitter/SC/IG/FB   @Jaynasings2
ASCAP: #4274530


No comments:

Post a Comment